Jimmy first met Clark Kent at the Daily Planet, the two of them striking a quick friendship. He officially met Superman while the latter had been captured by Parasite, to be kept as a prisoner while Parasite drained his powers. Jimmy was able to track Parasite by realizing he flew to the same place every 12 hours or so. Upon arriving at S.T.A.R. Labs boiler room, Jimmy found Superman imprisoned. While Jimmy loosened up the chains, Superman was able to escape and engaged Parasite, defeating him.
Investigating Intergang and meeting Supergirl
Jimmy complains to Lois that he wants to join in on the Intergang investigation. Lois refuses to let him tag along, and Jimmy decides to investigate himself. Supergirl, who is visiting the Daily Planet under the guise of Clark's cousin "Kara", overhears this conversation and seeing a chance to prove herself, decides to join him. The pair eventually finds the right place and sneak into Intergang's hideout, but get caught by Granny Goodness, who is using an asteroid magnet to draw a comet to Earth. Supergirl and Superman manage to move the comet out of Earth's atmosphere, saving the day.
At the Planet, Jimmy proudly admires his front-page story on Supergirl's debut. As his co-workers eagerly crowd around for more details, he points out the window, where Kara flies around Metropolis, proud of her achievement and confident that Earth has a new heroine.
When Superman stops Angela Chen's helicopter from crashing, Jimmy provides assistance by getting the crew out of the helicopter while the bridge starts collapsing. Angela, looking to cover for her lost footage, asks Jimmy for an interview. He politely refuses, claiming he wouldn't be comfortable, nor would really call himself a close friend of Superman. Later, an edited interview with Angela and Jimmy appears on a newscast, with Jimmy seemingly saying that that he's Superman's pal. People start to ask Jimmy for favors, such as giving Superman a thank-you note, inviting him to a party, getting him to do commercials, and asking him to attend charity dinners.}}
The newfound fame comes with negative attention as well, as Jimmy shortly after finds himself in the clutches of Metallo. Superman arrives and with the help of Jimmy they defeat Metallo. Superman counsels Jimmy and gives him a watch, a wristwatch which with the press of a button emits a special ultrasonic frequency signal that Superman can hear anywhere on Earth.}}
- Burnett, Alan, Dini, Paul (writers) & Jeralds, Scott, Geda, Curt (directors) (September 6, 1996). "The Last Son of Krypton, Part II". Superman: The Animated Series. Season 1. Episode 2 (airdate). Episode 2 (production). Kids WB!.
- Goodman, Robert (writer) & Riba, Dan (director) (September 21, 1996). "Feeding Time". Superman: The Animated Series. Season 1. Episode 6 (airdate). Episode 7 (production). Kids WB!.
- Dorkin, Evan, Dyer, Sarah, Dini, Paul, Burnett, Alan (writers) & Geda, Curt (director) (May 2, 1998). "Little Girl Lost, Part I”. Superman: The Animated Series. Season 2. Episode 27 (airdate). Episode 37 (production). Kids WB!.
- Dorkin, Evan, Dyer, Sarah (writers) & Fogel, Rich (story) & Geda, Curt (director) (May 2, 1998). "Little Girl Lost, Part II”. Superman: The Animated Series. Season 2. Episode 28 (airdate). Episode 38 (production). Kids WB!.
- Goodman, Robert (writer) & Fukushima, Kazumi (director) (February 20, 1999). "Superman's Pal". Superman: The Animated Series. Season 3. Episode 8 (airdate). Episode 48 (production). Kids WB!.
- McDuffie, Dwayne (writer) & Lukic, Butch (director) (November 29, 2003). "Hereafter, Part I". Justice League. Season 2. Episode 19 (airdate). Episode 43 (production). Cartoon Network.