"Alive!" is the twelfth episode of the second season of Justice League Unlimited. It originally aired on May 6, 2006. It acts as the first half of the series finale.
In an effort to find, and once again become one with Brainiac, Lex Luthor converts the headquarters of the Legion of Doom into a space ship in order to travel into space to collect the remains of the meteor that was once the home to Brainiac, but that was destroyed by the Justice League. However, once Luthor collects these pieces, it is not Brainiac that is reborn, but Darkseid.
Darkseid returns to Apokolips to end the civil war there and takes control of his planet once again, and vows to kill Superman. It is not mentioned, but it is understood that Darkseid is now combined with Brainiac, given his new size and style of clothing. The end of this episode leads into the final episode of Justice League Unlimited.
- Darkseid makes his first appearance since his apparent death in Justice League, "Twilight."
- Likewise, Apokolips is shown to be in the same state of civil war referenced in Justice League Unlimited, "The Ties That Bind."
- This episode is different from others in that it focuses on the efforts of the villians. In fact, we do not see any members of the Justice League until the very end of the episode.
- On the DVD special feature, Dwayne MacDuffie suggested that Tala deliberately manipulated her magic to resurrect Darkseid rather than Brainiac as her final "screw you" to Luthor.
- Also on the special feature, Bruce Timm said that Grodd's death was sufficiently ambiguous that "we could bring him back if we wanted to."
- Last appearance (in any form) of Brainiac.
- Last appearance of several supervillains, who are presumably eliminated as follows:
|Goldface||Frozen and blown up|
|Shade||Frozen and blown up|
|Rampage||Frozen and blown up|
|Parasite||Frozen and blown up|
|The Key||Frozen and blown up|
|Copperhead||Frozen and blown up|
|Hellgrammite||Frozen and blown up|
|Lady Lunar||Killed in the mutiny|
|Silver Banshee||Killed in the mutiny|
Grodd: (his last words) You twisted little pink rat-hole of a hominid, I'm not done with you! I'll get out of this, and when I do...!
Bernadeth: What your will, my lord?